11.1. Study Material

Précis and Class Outcome:  

This class studies Solomon’s wisdom (Proverbs 28:13), deals with self-examination and the motivation needed for renewal. This class should be able to better understand the need for taking responsibility and ownership for one’s actions and well-being.

Text:    Proverbs 28:13.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. 

Body:

11.1    A Sure Process Of Counseling 

The Formula For Failure   Covers + Sin = Failure  (Never  prosper!)

To Cover Sin – [ham-ar-tee’-ah] To miss the mark, offence, sin, sinful.

11.2    A List Of Ego Defense Mechanisms – Elaborate Cover ups

Ego-defense mechanisms are elaborate cover-ups. By using these methods a person can persist in unacceptable behavior and still feel satisfied about it. Although they appear effective in absolving responsibility, they are self-deceiving and seriously distort reality. In these cases, self-improvement is impossible. 

1.   Denial – A refusal to acknowledge that which is threatening or unpleasant. This is often done through “escape activities” (Saul -1 Samuel 15:13-14)

2.   Projection A method used to divert responsibility for our difficulties by placing blame on others or accusing them of fault (Adam and Eve – Genesis 3:11-13)

3.   Rationalization – Excusing one’s unacceptable behavior by displaying its logical, virtues; think up a good reason to justify actions and attitudes (Saul – 1 Samuel 15:15-24)

4.   Fantasy – An escape from the world of reality and gratify desires through wishful thinking; erecting an imaginary world as we would like it to be (Rich – Luke 12:16-20)

5.   Reaction Formation – The means of preventing harmful desires, behavior and attitudes by fostering the opposite types of behavior and attitudes (

Samson – Judges 16:1-30)

6.   Repression – Preventing harmful desires or thoughts by consciously ignoring them or pushing them from consciousness (Pharaoh’s butler – Genesis 40:1-23)

7.   Atonement – Compensating for unacceptable thoughts, desires or deeds with redemptory behavior; penitence for one’s sins (Pilate – Matthew 27:24)

8.   Identification – Increasing personal advantage through association with notable achievements, institutions or persons

(Crowds around Jesus – Mark 6:31

)

9.   Compensation – Shifting attention from a weakness by overemphasizing a strength or virtue; exaggerating a pleasing feature (Saul – 1 Samuel 15:20-22)

10.   Displacement – Discharging harmful feelings on objects or relationships which will result in less dangerous consequences (Joseph’s brethren – Genesis 37

)

11.3     Self Evaluation

X         X         X   X   X                          X

[I will cover] [Not ready to uncover] [I’m uncertain] [I know I must] [I’m ready to disclose] [I now disclose!]
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:8-10)