11.1. Study Material

Précis:    To examine human conscience, its origin and dynamics, and the need to bring it under the control of God’s Word; how to deal with guilt and self-abasement.

Text: 1 John 3:18-22

Introduction:

You need never fear to examine yourself and identify the sources of all your problems. Jesus Christ has taken care of your sin problems on Golgotha. The issue of your sin has been dealt with on the cross. Satan’s hold and influence over you was forever broken when Jesus triumphed over him on Calvary, and publicly humiliated him. This is the import of Colossians 2:14-15

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 

When you confess your sins, God forgives, cleanses and forgets. It is not that He can’t remember; it is that He chooses NOT TO REMEMBER. What God is saying regarding your sin is this; My son Jesus took care of your sins on Calvary and when you confessed them, I put them out of my sight and I distinctly remember forgetting them!

I distinctly remember forgetting that!

God declares that As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Psalms 103:12) The same good news is repeated in Psalms 25:7, Isa. 43:25, 44:22; Ezek. 33:16; 1 John 1:8-9. Hallelujah! The child of God can declare with joyful confidence, “Despite my grievous sin, God has forgiven me, cleansed me and made me righteous before Him!”

God has taken care of the sin problem. Guilt and self-condemnation however, is a dynamic of your conscience and the enemy knows how to manipulate it effectively against you. 

Beloved, if our heart condemns us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive from him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. (I John 3:21-22)

Note: The points of the compass are East and West.  As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Psa. 103:12)

If the coordinates were North and South, the distance could be traversed, the location found and the transgressions assumed once again.

Lesson:                Taking Care Of The Guilt Problem

23.1 The Message To The Saints – 1 John 3:18-19

1.  My little children

2.  We that are of the truth

3.  Not for non-Christians

4.  The sin question must be taken care of before guilt can be remedied 

23.2 Guilt Is A Conditioned Response – 1 John 3:19

1. Shall assure (pi’-tho – to convince) our hearts (kar-dee’-ah)

2. Conscience is developed by rearing and upbringing (Prov. 22:6)

3. Conscience is conditioned and reinforced by experience (Deut. 6:4-9)

4. Conscience must be brought controlled  by God’s Word (2 Cor. 10:5)

24.3  Guilt Is A Controllable Force  – Rom. 14:14;  Titus 1:15;

1.  For if our hearts condemn (kat-ag-in-o’-sko – find fault with) us 

2.  Know that God is greater than your heart – He has cleansed you!

3.  No condemnation to them who are in Christ – Rom. 8:1-2

4.  God knows all things – Psa. 139:2-3   

24.4  Freedom From Guilt Produces Confidence – 1 John 3:20-21

1.  If our hearts condemn us not – Cannot manipulate mind  or emotions

2.  We have confidence (par-rhay-see’-ah – frankness) towards God

3.  Boldness (par-rhay-see’-ah) to enter the Holy Place – Heb. 10:19-25

1. The reason for great joy and confidence – 1 John 1:8-10

Selah   (seh’-law – suspension,  pause)  A reflective expression like …

WOW!  How Do You Like That! That’s Awesome! Can You Believe That!

Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is

covered. Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth

not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept

silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day

long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my 

moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I

acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not

hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and

thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.  Selah.

(Psalms 32:1-5)