12.1. Study Material

Précis and Class Outcome:  

This class continues with Solomon’s wisdom (Proverbs 28:13), and deals with the need for self-examination and motivation for renewal. After studying this class, you should be able to better understand the requirement for taking responsibility and ownership for one’s actions and well-being.

Text:    Proverbs 28:13, 1 John 1:8-9

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  

Body:

12.1    A Sure Process Of Counseling 

The Formula For Cleansing  – Confesses + Forsakes = Mercy  (Paid  in  full!)

To Confess Sin – Greek word is [hom-ol-og-eh’-o] meaning to assent, that is, covenant, acknowledge, agree. The Hebrew word is [yaw-daw’] referring to the hand, to throw, to point out, revere, worship.

12.2     Dealing With The Past By Disclosing And Confessing Sin

Dealing with life issues is painful. Because the process requires accountability, honesty and effort, they are carefully avoided. Consequently, many people never come to grips with themselves. This results in arrested development (immaturity) that leads to bareness (lack of fruitfulness). Make this your prayer for a life of victory: “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead in the way everlasting.” (Psalms 139:23-24)

X           X     X   X       X                            X

[I will not confess]  [I’m not ready]  [I’m uncertain]  [I know I must]  [I am ready to forsake]  [I do it now!]

12.3     A Life Changing Assignment

1. Make a quality choice to examine yourself (1 Corinthians 11:28-30)

2.  No better time to do this than NOW

(2 Corinthians 6:1-2

)

3.  Write Down All Your “Missing the Mark”

(Identify it on paper, then …)

4.  Offer your confession to God (Burn it, cut it up, mutilate it, destroy it!)

5.  Experience Liberating Cleansing (1 John 1:8-10)

12.4     The Grand Results Of Maturity (Fruit Bearing)  – John 15:1-8

Fruit {kar-pos’} the fruit of the trees, vines, of the fields, the fruit of one’s loins, i.e. his progeny, his posterity, that which originates or comes from something, an effect, result. – Galatians 5:22  But the  fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith … Fruit bearing is the normal of a healthy mature organism.

levels of fruit bearing!   1. No fruit 

2. Bear fruit 4. Bearing more fruit

3. More fruit 5. Bearing much fruit

12.5    The Two Types Of Fruit Bearing (Galatians 5:19-24) 16

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abides in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do – John 15:1-5