2.1. Study Material

Précis and Class Outcome:  

This class seeks to bring the body of Christ into maturity; raise an authentic standard and provide a scale that can measure degrees of deviation, and aid in the expression of divine potential. After studying this class you should recognize the need for re-evaluation, self-examination, honest assessment and a commitment to personal growth.

Text:   (1 Corinthians 3:1-3)

And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 

Body:   

“The essential sequence in the development of psychoneurotic disorders is typically: (a) faulty personality development – immaturity, distortions – resulting in specific weaknesses in personality structures….” James C. Coleman. What modern psychology identifies as faulty personality development that results in psychoneurotic behavior, Paul defines as carnality. He identifies this as being synonymous with immaturity, childishness or arrested development. Although specific symptoms vary widely, immaturity manifests itself in a number of common abusive behaviors. 

2.1   Ten Signs Of Immaturity

1.  Physical Abuse – Pushing, hitting, restraining, encroaching

2.  Emotional Abuse – Belittling, ignoring, denigrating, criticizing, intimidation

3.  Economic Abuse – Restricting finances, denial of basic needs

4.  Property Abuse – Breaking personal items, hiding valued items, hurting loved things

5.  Sexual Abuse – Imposing embarrassing or painful acts, humiliating

6.  Relationship Abuse – Turning the children, friends and relatives against another

7.  Responsibility Abuse – Refusing to assist when needed, projecting the blame 

8.  Religious Abuse – Imposing a toxic spiritually, religious dominance

9.  Rank Abuse – Suppressing another by intellectual, physical, positional superiority 

10. Ignorance Abuse – Not cognizant of the pain caused, Emotionally sterile, Naïve

The remedy for such childishness is found in Paul’s testimony. When I was a child, I spoke as a child [behaviour], I understood as a child [cognition], I thought as a child [motivation]: but when I became a man, I put away [a quality choice] childish things. (1 Corinthians 13:11; Romans 12:1-2)

The Greek word translated as, I put away is kat-arg-eh’-o. It means to abolish, cease, cumber, deliver, destroy, do away, make no effect, fail, lose, put away and make void, by force if necessary. It is a personal choice.