4.1. Study Material

Précis and Class Outcome:  

An organism may be fully-grown but never achieve maturity. This class defines the characteristics of each. You should be able to identify the different levels of maturity. 

Text:   (Galatians 4:1-3)

Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: 

Observation: The most talented personality, attractive individual, well equipped being is often the most ineffective.

Body:   

4.1   Fully Grown as Opposed to Mature  –  Not to be seen as synonymous

1.1  Fully-Grown – A consequence of natural living. Fully developed specimen of the gender species, but arrested in development; lacking full bloom and seed.

1.  Mature – A progression in wisdom, stability and good works. This is attained through selfless struggles; having the characteristics of bloom and fruit bearing seed. Maturity is not to be defined as chronological age, intellectual prowess, business acumen, popularity, authority or material acquisition. Paul laments that the Christians at Corinth never grew up! And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? (1 Corinthians 3:1-3) The lack of maturity is the leading cause for unhappiness, interpersonal conflict, poor emotional control and more. Seven Greek words are translated in the Bible as children. 

✓  Foo-lay   = Tribe, kindred 

✓  Bref-os   = Just born baby, infant

✓  Tek-nee-on   = Little children, infant

✓  Hwee-os   = Mature son, adult – Son of God, David

✓  Neh-an-is’-kos   = Young man, attendant

✓  Pahee-dyoo-w  = To train, instruct children, chasten

✓Nay-pee-os = Child, babe, minor, infant, childish

I write unto you, little children, {tek-nee’-on} because your sins are forgiven you for his name’s sake. I write unto you, fathers, {pat-ayr} because ye have known him from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, {neh-an-is’-kos} because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.  – 1 John 2:12-14 

4.2   Self Evaluation

X                 X               X         X           X             X

Bref-os         Nay-pee-os         Tek-nee-on         Neh-an-is-kos          Hwee-os           Pat-ayr

The message to the church is simple and direct;   Grow up!  Grow  up!  (2 Peter 3:18)