5.1. Study Material

Précis:    To encourage a break from the genetic and environmental past; how to hew a new you; engrafting into the Divine Nature.

Text: 1 Peter 1:23;  2 Peter 1:4

Introduction:

In the mid-eighteen hundreds, two men met at a local North African restaurant. The first, a land surveyor and engineer by profession, told of his dream to build a canal so long and deep that it would save the world untold millions in shipping costs. The second, a French sculptor by the name of Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, determined to build a beautiful lighthouse which would guide ships through the waters. The canal was completed in 1885 and still operates today as the Suez Canal. Bartholdi’s masterpiece was completed in 1876; a lighthouse built in the image of a colossal maiden, standing fifteen stories high, holding a lighted torch overhead. Sadly, he was unable to secure permission from the participating governments to erect it.  One year later, it was created in large cartons and shipped as a gift from the French Government to the United States of America. On October 23, 1886, President Cleveland dedicated her to the world as The Statue Of Liberty. It stands on Ellis Island on a 15 story pedestal lighting newcomers from its 30 story advantage. The plaque at its base reads: Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free; the wretched refuse from your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.  Emma Lazarus

For decades they came. Immigrants from all cultures and walks of life carrying nothing but a few hand-carry-ons and the clothes on their backs. They also brought their knowledge, talents, abilities, cultures and traditions. They also brought the seed of many generations in their loins; the seed from which we all descended.

Everyone of us got off the boat! We all came off the boat either at Ellis Island, New Brunswick, Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town or Ararat Island (Genesis 7-8); now known as the mountains of Tibet.

They came with names like:

Kropadopolis  –  Breudenkraunt  –  Mickealson  –  Louenachi

Kineshanko  –  Bianka  –  Polakshy  –  Smith  –  Johnson

Van de Merwe  –  Wong  –  O’Riley  –  Olefsen  –  Marchuck

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.  (2 Peter 1:4)

Lesson:             Axing The Family Tree

17.1 God’s Dynamics For Change – Matt. 15:3 

1.  Laying the ax to the family tree – Luke 3:8-9

2.  Repudiating man’s harmful heritage – Luke 14:26-27

3.  Not all who are spiritual are Godly – religious vs. righteous

4.  Not all who are advanced are mature – more vs. developed

17.2 Death Of The Tree  –  Col. 3:1-5

1.  Severed from the root sources – Gal. 3:28; Col. 3:11

– Forever extinct are nationalities: No Greek or Jew

– Forever extinct are religions: No circumcision or uncircumcision

– Forever extinct are cultures: No Barbarian or Scythian

– Forever extinct are classes: No rich or poor; popular or unpopular

– Forever extinct are genders: No male or female

2.  All are equal before God – Rom. 10:12

3.  We are freed from the law of sin – Rom. 8:1-13

4.  Therefore reckon (log-id’-zom-ahee) yourselves dead – Rom. 6:11

17.3   Engrafting Into The Divine Nature Of God’s Family

1.  Receive the engrafted Word – James 1:21

2.  Engrafted into a new root system – John 15:1-5

3.  Made partakers of the Divine Nature – 2 Peter 1:4

4.  We are in Christ – God’s children (sper’-mah) – Gal. 3:26-29

5.  We are born of God (out from within the God) – John 1:11-13

17.4   The Fruit Bearing Of Our New Root System

1.  Bearing fruit, more fruit, much fruit – John 15:5-8

2.  Bearing the fruit of the Spirit – Gal. 5:22-25

3.  Living the life of Christ – Gal. 2:20

4.  Neither barren nor unfruitful – 2 Peter 1:8

Pray this prayer of renunciation with me!

Lord, this day I make a quality choice to lay the ax to my family tree. I renounce  my

origins which have been harmful to me. I shall no longer draw my nourishment from 

my carnal background. It will no longer support the undesirable fruit in my life. I now

cut the tree from the root-system! I am now severed from my fleshly legacy. It will no

longer nurture my carnal nature. Also today, I received your engrafted word. I ask you

to come into my life and make me your child. Engraft me into your vine and give me

Your Divine Nature. Live your divine life in and through me. Thank you Lord for

hearing me and giving me my heart’s desire. I ask this in the name of my Lord and

Saviour, Jesus Christ – Amen!