Précis and Class Outcome:
Religion is Satan’s primary weapon. Karl Marx (1818-1883) said that, “Religion is the opiate of the people.” The number of religions and philosophies that Satan has spawned demonstrates that he was right! This class points out the differing characteristics of those being religious as opposed to being spiritual. After studying this class you should be able to … test the spirits to see whether they are from God … (1 John 4:1)
Text: (James 3:13-18)
Who is a wise man and endowed with knowledge among you? let him show out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work
The list of well known religious people includes Mohandas Gandhi, Adolph Hitler,
Caiaphas, Osama bin Laden, Jim Jones, Charles Darwin and more.
6.1 Religious as opposed to Godly Or Spiritual – Not to be seen as synonymous
1. Religious – Religion can be defined as a blind devotion to anything. This would include materialism, communism, sports, politics, philosophy, piety, etc. Many are they that cloak their godless behaviour with Biblical or Christian traditions.
2. Godly or Spiritual – A spiritual person exemplifies the characteristics of Jesus Christ. These are listed as the “fruit of the Spirit” in Galatians 5:22-25. It is an overflow of a relationship with Jesus.
Christianity is not a religion. It is a life changing experience born of a relationship with Jesus Christ! Elkanah (1 Sam. 1:1-23) is a picture of a Godly man. His name ‘Elqanah (el-kaw-naw’) means “God has possessed” or “God has created”. His life profiles a spiritual Man. (1 Samuel 1:1-19)
☞ Elkanah was …
1. A Faithful Priest – Went up yearly to worship – v2
2. An Adequate Provider – He gave to Peninnah … Hannah – v4
3. A Dedicated Husband – He loved Hannah – v5
4. A Perceptive Partner – Why weepest thou? – v8
5. A Communicative Spouse – Am I not better than ten sons? – v8
6. A Sensitive Lover – Elkannah knew Hanna – v19
7. A Team Player – Do what seemeth thee good – v23
6.2 Self Evaluation
X X X X X X
Godless Religious Carnal Nominal Spiritual Godly
Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. (Matthew 7:20)