Alarm the danger of deception; A call to heed seriously the frequent warnings about deception; summon the church to pursue credibility and authenticity.
Text: Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
The scriptures frequently warn us against the perils of deception. If we are to give diligent heed to this repeated admonition, we must be able to recognize deception when we see it. The sad reality is that most people are unaware of its presence and are therefore led into captivity by their own free will.
The Apostle Paul challenges Timothy with these words: In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. -2 Timothy 2:25-26
Deception is the most violent form of brutality. In the case of robbery and physical violence a person is victimized by an assailant. As painful as the losses may be, some form of comfort may be derived from the sympathy and empathy of friends. Some satisfaction may be gained from the fact that “Truth, though it be crushed to Earth, shall rise again!” In deception however, a person victimizes himself for the benefit of someone else. By one’s own choosing and doing a person will brutalize himself, all the while believing that what he is doing is right. Furthermore, every attempt to help is rejected as malicious interference.
A trumpet clarions this warning; BE NOT DECEIVED! The call today is for discernment. Be prepared for deception. We are told to test the spirits to see if they are of God. 1 John 4:1-3
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
There can be no doubt that we have reached the end times of history. The prophetic word as uttered by the prophets in centuries past has been fulfilled. That which could be seen only through the eye of faith a decade ago has become a reality. One need not read the Bible to realize that something astonishing is about to happen. Events are moving quickly and we learn of them hourly via multimedia devices such as radio TV and Internet.
6.1 THE DANGER OF DECEPTION
1. Warning against the danger of deception – 2 Timothy 3:1-13
2. Admonition to avoid ignorance – 1 Corinthians 10:1
3. Counsel to discern good and evil – Hebrews 5:14
4. Caution to beware of imposters – 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
6.2 THE NATURE OF DECEPTION
1. Deceived By False Representation – Galatians 3:1-3
2. Defrauded By Forged Authorization – Galatians 1:8
3. Deluded By Faulty Motivation – Philippians 1:15-16
4. Decayed By Fake Substitution – Galatians 1:6-7
5. Dissimulated By Perversion – Luke 4:1-13
6. Dispersed By Fragmentation – Matthew 26:31
6.3 THE RESULTS OF DECEPTION
1. A Hardened Heart – Exodus 5:1 – 10:29
2. Strong Delusions – 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12
3. Reprobate Mind – Romans 1:21-28
4. Abandonment To Sin – Romans 1:28-32
6.4 EXAMPLES OF DECEPTION
1. Eve And the Serpent – Genesis 3:1-6; 1 Timothy 2:14
2. Joshua And The Gibeonites – Joshua 9:9-22
3. The Trojans And The Spartans – History/Mythology
4. The Christian And The Enemy – 2 Corinthians 11:2-3
6.5 TROJAN HORSES OF MODERN DECEPTION
1. Philosophy 6. Politics
2. Religion 7. Metaphysics
3. Psychology 8. Science
4. Education 9. Entertainment
5. Sociology 10. News Media
6.6 RESOURCES FOR COMBATING DECEPTION
1. Study The Word Of God – Psalms 119:11
2. Communion With God – James 1:5-6
3. Develop A Reliance Upon The Holy Spirit – John 16:13
4. Submit To God And Obey His Word – James 4:7-8
5. Spend Time In Fellowship With Jesus – Luke 10:38-42
The Bible speaks of a coming day of apostasy. The precursor of this “falling away” will be deception of unprecedented magnitude. Jesus spoke of it in Matthew 24:23-24.