Need For A Course On The Well Adjusted Personality Class 1
Précis: To demonstrate the need for wise counsel; provide an understanding of the church’s failure; meet that need and to prepare the church for kingdom living.
Text: Galatians 4:1-3; Hebrews 6:1-3; 9
If anyone has the right to walk with a bounce in his step; a song in his heart and a whistle on his lips, it is the child of God! If anyone can go to sleep with the peace and serenity of a child, it is we who belong to Jesus. If anyone can make wise and accurate choices, it is he who has the mind of Christ! This is the heritage of the children of the Lord!
Sadly, this is often not the case. Fear, depression, unhappiness and confusion give way to stressed relationships and dysfunctional behavior. Such pervasive dissatisfaction manifests itself in negativism, anxiety, functional nervous disorders and a litany of psychosomatic aches and pains. The blessings associated with the Kingdom of God are lacking for many.
If a person is under stress, confused and hurting, his appreciation of Handle’s Messiah will be marginal, regardless of how well it is performed. This same lack of appreciation will also be true of the sermon. Furthermore, there will be no way to apply the import of the message to daily life.
The church sees the need for a music ministry and fills this need with a Minister of Music and special musical programs. The youth have a Youth Minister and special events for young people. Women’s Ministries and outreaches to men are regular functions of the local church. However, the imperative need is for a program of practical counseling. Healing comes to the community through the local church.
Now therefore come, let me, I pray thee, give thee counsel, that thou mayest save thine own life, and the life of thy son … – 1 Kings 1:2
Now therefore come, let me, I pray thee, give thee counsel
Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world. (Gal 4:1-3)
There are 7 Greek words translated into the English as “child” or “children”. The word that is used here is (nay’-pee-os); meaning an infant, babe, child, minor, an immature Christian:
Lesson: The Need For A Course On The Well Adjusted Personality
1.1 Healing is the children’s bread
1. He came to give us life and that more abundantly – John 10:10
2. We have been made partakers of the divine nature – 2 Peter 1:4
3. What we believe is not commensurate with what we experience
4. Majority of people never experience their full potential
1.2 A sad commentary on modern society
1. Statistics display a sad scenario on today’s society
2. Concerns for families in the now
3. Where is one to turn in times of crisis
4. E.g. King Kong
1.3 The failure of the church
1. The organized church has benefited the world enormously
2. The shortcoming is evident to the point of irrelevance
3. Reasons for weakness are many
4. Healing comes to the community through the local church
1.4 The victory of the Gospel
1. His divine power has given us everything we need … – 2 Peter 1:3-4
2. Universe is governed by specific laws
3. Spiritual Kingdom is governed by established principles
4. The guarantee for success and significance – 1 Kings 2:2-3