Looking Good And Feeling Great Class 11
Précis: To outline the contributing factors responsible for self image; the inferiority complex; the value of a healthy self-image.
Text: Proverbs 23:7
The world shall not soon forget the events which took place on November 4, 1979. I was awakened to a news flash that an attempted rescue had failed in the deserts of Iran with loss of military hardware and personnel. They were enroute to rescue 50 foreign diplomats and professional personnel who were being held hostage by Ayatollah Khomeini and his radical followers. Those were dark hours for the free world, the full gravity of which shall never be assayed.
The days which followed were oppressing. Raging mobs daily took to the streets shouting a litany of curses and shaking their fists into the television cameras. With maniacal hate they filled a pair of overalls and shirt with straw and paper. A head in the image of then President Jimmy Carter supporting a stars and stripes “Uncle Sam’s” top hat was affixed to the effigy. He was then hung from a gallows and burned along with American flags. What they were saying in no uncertain terms was this; “We loathe you Capitalistic pigs. If we were big enough we would kill you. Since we can’t, we will kill you symbolically; in effigy, for the world to see. Sadly, the news media gave them center stage before the entire world.
A similar event took place in the dateless past. Lucifer, God’s highest created being rebelled against Him, and led one third of the angelic hosts in an attempted coupe. Their purpose was to overthrow God and His Kingdom and establish a rule where he was in charge. Lucifer’s efforts miserably failed and he and his followers were exiled to Earth as Satan and disembodied demons. The narrative is found in Ezekiel 28:11-15 and Isaiah 14:12-17.
Satan and his hosts desire to destroy God. Since they can’t, their attack is against all humanity, made in God’s image.
My being bears the very thumbprint of deity!
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: (Genesis 1:26)
Definition: Effigy – The word effigy is derived from the Latineffingere meaning to
form or shape: an image or representation esp. of a person.
– Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary.
Lesson: Looking Good And Feeling Great
11.1 Created In The Image Of God
1. Bearing the thumbprint of the Divine – Gen. 1:26-27
2. God’s unique and specific workmanship – Eph. 2:10
3. No accident or random happening – Jer. 1:4-8
4. No redundancy or superfluity – Phil. 2:13
11.2 Developmental Pressures Which Mold And Shape
1. Parental role-modeling; Most significant influence
2. School; peer pressures; friends
3. Success and failures; Life experiences
4. Many other environmental forces
11.3 Conditioned In The Image Of Others
1. Performance, talents and abilities
2. Approval, recognition and validation
3. Station, position and rank
4. Intelligence, knowledge and information
11.4 Resulting Distortion
1. Inferior to others; not able to compete adequately
2. Painfully preoccupied with personal shortcomings;
3. Reality becomes distorted; paranoia
4. Withdrawal; Everything is seen in a competitive light