The Process Of Becoming Class 9
Précis: To illustrate how personality is formed; examine the dynamics which mold man; understand the process of becoming.
Text: Proverbs 22:6
The person you are is as a result of causative factors which molded you in the past. The person you choose to become will be determined by you and the disciplines you willingly submit unto. Hereditary, environmental and spiritual factors play powerful roles in molding the person you are now. However, by choosing new and Godly influences and submitting yourselves to them, you are able to RE-BECOME! They who submit themselves to God and His word are they who are guaranteed victorious living.
You Are A Self Made Man?
Only by the grace of God will you be able to avoid an embarrassing outcome.
Personal growth must never stop. The alternative is stagnation in its ultimate form. From the point of stagnation, decline begins and ultimately ends in death and decay. You are called upon to make a choice. In a very real sense, you are a self made person. Only with the help of God can you save yourself from an embarrassing outcome. Therefore, submit yourself to God.
And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God … But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee: (Deut 28:1-2; 15)
“Here is a great duty enjoined, particularly to those that are the parents and instructors of children …Train up children in that age of vanity, to keep them from the sins and snares of it, in that learning age, to prepare them for what they are designed for. Catechise them; initiate them; keep them under discipline. Train them as soldiers, who are taught to handle their arms, keep rank, and observe the word of command. Train them up, not in the way they would go (the bias of their corrupt hearts would draw them aside), but in the way they should go, the way in which, if you love them, you would have them go. Train up a child according as he is capable (as some take it), with a gentle hand, as nurses feed children, little and often” (Deut. 6:7). -Matthew Henry
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
Lesson: The Process Of Becoming
9.1 The Basic Difference Between Mankind And The Creatures
1. Inanimate objects governed by time, erosion and oxidation
2. Vegetation is governed by nature; mother Earth
3. The creature kingdom is governed by instinct; drive for survival
4. Natural mankind is governed by reason; logic; emotion
5. Child of God is directed by revelation and illumination; Holy Spirit
9.2 The Learning Process – Cognition – Knowing
1. Born Tabla Blanka – Possessing no intuitive knowledge
2. Sensory perception – Seeing, hearing, touching, smelling, feeling
3. Perceives the rearing environment – assimilation of sensations
4. Stores all experiences in a memory bank called the subconscious
9.3 Growth And Development – Becoming
1. Sensory Process – Registering The World
2. Data Processing – Identifying, Comparing, Relating And Storing
3. Life Experiences – Mind Sets, Value System
4. Choices And Behavior: Predicated Upon Thought Processes
9.4 Rational Choice – Will – Volition
1. Presenting Situations: Circumstance And Surroundings
2. Perceptions: The Mind Receives All Incoming Stimuli
3. Data Processing: Information Is Compared To Past Experiences
4. Behavior: Choices Are Made
Rational Choices are made on the basis of the knowledge we possess. This information is acquired through our sensory perception: sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. There is no inherent knowledge. Everything that one will ever know is learned through experience. The outcome of our choices will be dependent on whether the information is faulty or correct.
The Process Of Knowing, Becoming
1. Perceives environs
2. Receives stimuli
3. Evaluates data
4. Files information
5. Recalls facts
6. Analyzes reality
7. Compares mind-set
8. Identifies relation
9. Catalogues results
10. Stores conclusions